Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Mind of a Grocer's Assistant #2

Just to even things up, BOOKS I DISLIKED SO MUCH THAT I ABANDONED THEM*

The Year of Magical Thinking. Joan Didion
Oh Play That Thing. Roddy Doyle
The Free and Easy. Ann Haverty
Amo, Amas, Amat. Harry Mount
Norwegian Wood. Haruki Murakami
Yonder Come the Blues. Paul Oliver and others
The Final Passage. Caryl Phillips
A Spot of Bother. Mark Haddon
The First Verse. Barry McCrea

* Being the unfortunately fastidious person that I am, I employ a ruthless rule of thumb: If I'm not enjoying any book after reading 25% of it, I give it up. On the few occasions that I ignored my own rule, I've always been sorry that I did.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aoife said...

I find it really hard to give up a book. If I've wasted the time reading a quarter of it I always think that I might as well see the whole thing through.

11:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home